I've been combing through my yarn stash lots lately, looking at all the good stuff that I have stored away. The wool that I've been drawn to the most has been my 3 skeins of Quarry (in Sulpher) from Brooklyn Tweed. They've been staring at me for a while now. Since green is my son's favorite color, and winter is coming, I thought a scarf might be needed. Scarves are by no means my favorite thing to work on, but since he won't really wear a hat that's not brimmed, this is was a good, mindless project to work on. No heavy focusing required. This pattern is simple and easy, so I thought I'd share it with you all. It's a good step up from stockinette stitch if you're wanting to try something new, but still feel like you're near beginner level. It utilizes Seed Stitch Pattern beautifully to create a textured, yet gender-neutral fabric. I'm halfway through in only 2 days, so it also goes really quickly! I'll post a complete picture as soon as I'm finished. Here's the pattern, in case you want to get started on this yourself!
- app. 400 yds (200 g) chunky weight yarn (our Trail or Cabin would work perfectly!)
- US 10.5 (6.5 mm) needles
Terms and Definitions:
- CO: Cast on
- K: knit
- P: purl
- RS: right side of the fabric
- WS: wrong side of the fabric
- GSS (Garter Stitch Selvedge Edge): slip the first stitch on the row knitwise, then follow your established pattern until one stitch before the end of the row. Purl the last stitch.
Ribbed Edge:Row 1: *K2, P2, repeat from * to end.
Repeat Row 1 until piece measures approximately 1 1/2" (4 cm) from Cast On edge, ending after a RS row.
Transition Row: [GSS] P to one stitch before the end, [GSS]
Place removable stitch marker on RS of fabric and leave there until end of project to help you remember which is RS and which is WS.Seed Stitch (Main Section): beginning on RS of project
- Row 1&2: [GSS], *K1, P1, repeat from * to one stitch before the end, [GSS].
- Row 3&4: [GSS], *P1, K1, repeat from * to one stitch before the end, [GSS].
- Repeat Rows 1-4 until piece measures approximately 45" from CO edge, ending after a RS row.
- Next Row: [GSS] P to one stitch before the end, [GSS]
Repeat Ribbed Edge 1 more time to finish the edge.
Cast-Off knitwise. Weave in loose ends, block lightly, and wear with pride!